Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Anderson Cooper Gets it Right!




If you're my age, then there is no doubt you remember a young Anderson Cooper filing reports from around the world on Channel 1. Channel 1 was the school's attempt at teaching us kids about current events, but other than Anderson Cooper, nothing really stood out. It was wild the first time that I saw a grey-haired Anderson as the anchor for CNN, and while I rarely agree with Anderson's views, I respect the hell out of him for not letting his biases cloud his commentary. Here is an example from Anderson Cooper 360, as Mr. Cooper fights off an incredibly unfair attack on Governer Palin:


PHILLIPS: Can she be a mom and have five children and keep care of that home and also be the vice president of the United States?


COOPER: It's interesting that you hear people saying, "Well, can she care for her family and her children and also be vice president?" You never hear those questions being asked about a man, I mean I don't know if this is sexist or simply a double standard, but I have yet to hear Barack Obama asked, "Well, can you be a father, take care of your family and also be president of the United States?"


Bravo Mr. Cooper! It is so unfair to attack working mothers and it is so refreshing to see someone in the media completely forget about party lines and inject some fairness into this discussion

No comments: