Thursday, September 4, 2008

Grand Slam!



After nearly a week of personal attacks, sexist statements, rumors of scandals and assaults on her family, Sarah Palin gave the speech of her life. I'm a Reagan baby, born in 1980, so I never really had the thrill of watching the man in action. Last night Ronaldus Maximus must have been smiling from heaven as a new leader for his beloved conservative movement was born.

To borrow a line from MSLSD's Chris Mathews, I felt a tingling sensation coming up my leg as I watched one of the greatest political speeches given in this generation. I was moved by her and her family's unflinching bravery in the face of vicious attacks.

"Our family has the same ups and downs as any other ... the same challenges and the same joys. Sometimes even the greatest joys bring challenge."

-Sarah Palin

I don't know many people that can't relate to this narrative. I've never met the perfect family, and the Palin's aren't perfect, but they stand by each other through thick and thin.

Sarah Palin came off as a warm and loving maternal figure, but she wasn't soft. She showed that she was more than qualified to take on the traditional role of the Vice Presidential candidate, attack dog.

"Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown.


And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves.


I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities. I might add that in small towns, we don't quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening.


We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Scranton and another way in San Francisco."

-Sarah Palin

This line may have been the most successful line of the season, as Obama had fumbled the ball during the Pennsylvania primary, unfortunately for Hillary supporters, their candidate did not recover that fumble. Palin picked it up and scored a touchdown.

The best part of the night was watching the biased left wingers on CNN and MSNBC reacting to the speech. They all had this gaze that appeared to be similiar to post traumatic stress. They had been punched in the gut and didn't know quite how to react.

Harry Reid called her "shrill", which is a word that I've never heard used to describe a man. Liberal commentators gave us the Earth shattering news that she didn't pen the speech herself, as if any politician actually writes their own speeches. CNN's Candy Crowley implied that women aren't allowed to attack men, and that Palin's attacks wouldn't work.

I'd say that if anything, the dems that overlooked Palin are feeling a little silly and a little sore, and the once divided conservative electorate is feeling revitalized. That my friends is a homerun in any ballpark.

No comments: